Lower Body Injuries in Miami Pedestrian Accidents

You do not need a background in science to realize that the person on foot is more likely to sustain catastrophic injuries in a Miami pedestrian accident than the driver of a car. Walkers do not stand a chance against the large, speeding vehicles with whom they share the road. It is also not that far a stretch to assume that many victims will suffer injuries to the lower extremities because of where the bumper of a vehicle comes into contact with the body. Statistics indicate that one-third all pedestrian accident injuries involve the feet, legs, and hips. 

Knowing that there are more than 8,100 pedestrian accidents statewide every year – and almost 2,600 of them occur in South Florida – the dangers of lower body injuries come to the forefront. Trauma to the body below the waist is serious, and not only because of the physical pain. You could be unable to work and enjoy your favorite activities. It is a comfort to know that you have legal remedies, and a Miami pedestrian accident lawyer can guide you through the legal process. An overview is also useful.

Common Lower Body Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents

In most instances, there will be at least two violent impacts for the person on foot. The first blow is the motorized vehicle striking the pedestrian, which often leads the victim careening into the air. The secondary impact occurs when the person hits the ground or other hard surface. However, it is the height of the bumper on most passenger vehicles that causes harm to the lower extremities. For instance:

  • Fractures to the femur and tibia are most common in pedestrian accidents, followed by injuries to the knees and pelvis.
  • Around 80% of knee injuries involve fractured patella, while the remaining 20% are soft tissue injuries such as bursitis.
  • An injury to one part of the lower body increases the potential for trauma in the surrounding area. When a victim suffers a knee injury, he or she is almost five times more likely to also suffer soft tissue injuries.

Monetary Damages for Lower Body Injuries

Compensation in a pedestrian accident is based upon how your injuries impact your life and wallet. You may qualify to recover two types: 

  • Economic Damages: These are the calculable losses you sustain, which are usually provable by documentation. You can get reimbursement for medical costs, lost wages, and out-of-pocket expenses related to treating your lower extremities injuries.
  • Noneconomic Damages: Some losses are less definable, but you still experience hardship and implications for your quality of life. Pain and suffering is a term often used interchangeably with noneconomic damages, but other losses in this category include emotional distress, and scarring and disfigurement.

Contact Our Miami Pedestrian Accident Lawyers to Learn More

Regardless of the location of your injuries, you have rights under Florida law after a pedestrian crash. For details, please contact Gerson & Schwartz, PA to schedule a free consultation. We can set up a no-cost consultation at our offices in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or West Palm Beach, FL.

Florida Justice Association
The National Center for Victims of Crime
outh Florida Legal Guide
Contact Information