Articles Posted in Maritime Accidents

Miami is a major cruise port, and one of the busiest cargo ports in the world, and businesses that support these industries employ thousands of dedicated maritime workers. Unfortunately, this sector is also one where injuries and accidents are common. Employees working on vessels, docks, and wharves are at risk, and the threat of injuries also affects many workers who support the maritime industry. If you were injured or lost a loved one because of an accident, it is a relief to know that you have legal remedies. 

However, with maritime accidents, there are multiple laws that provide remedies for injured workers to recover lost wages. The details vary according to your position, as well as the circumstances surrounding your employment. It is wise to retain a Miami maritime injuries attorney for assistance with your case, but some general background is also informative.

Jones Act

Maritime employees work in amazingly dangerous conditions, so it is a relief to know that there are multiple programs under federal law that are akin to workers’ compensation. Though the qualifying criteria vary, the Jones Act, Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA), and Death on the High Seas Act (DOHSA) are just a few of the laws that allow injured employees to recover benefits after a maritime accident. 

No matter which statute applies to your situation, you must comply with the statutory requirements and follow proper procedures to pursue a maritime accident claim. These issues are complicated, so you should rely on your Miami maritime injuries lawyer for details. Still, your rights also depend somewhat on your actions after the accident, and some tips on things to do will help guide you.

  • Get Medical Care: Your first priority is getting treatment for your injuries, so head to the ER or an urgent care facility right away. Even if you believe the harm to be minimal or you do not know how badly you were hurt, it is important to see a doctor to ensure your maritime injuries are documented via your medical records. When you do seek medical care, make sure to tell your treating physician that your injuries were the result of work-related conditions.
Florida Justice Association
The National Center for Victims of Crime
outh Florida Legal Guide
Contact Information