Even though South Florida enjoys gorgeous, sunny weather year-round, both adults and children tend to enjoy summer-related activities more often between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The mood during this time of year inspires outdoor adventures and fun in the sun for people of all ages. You might not expect that the equipment, toys, and other consumer products you use for your escapades could be dangerous, but the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports numerous recalls. Serious injuries could result when a defective product fails and causes an accident.
You do have legal remedies under Florida product liability laws, so it is possible to recover compensation for your losses. A Miami product liability attorney can assist with your options, since you could be pursuing a multinational corporation with a large legal department dedicated to fighting your claim. In addition, it is useful to know the kinds of defective products you may encounter during summer months.
Defective Products That Can Ruin Summer Fun
As you can probably guess, many of the activities associated with summer in South Florida are water-based. Still, there are plenty of other products that have nothing to do with water recreation, but can cause serious injuries when they fail. Examples include:
- Pool equipment, including faulty ladders, drainage systems, and pumps;
- Gates for preventing unintended access to pools;
- Inflatable tubes, air mattresses, and other toys;
- Personal flotation devices (PFDs);
- Trailers and related apparatus for towing boats, wave runners, jet skis, and ATVs;
- Items and equipment for towing behind your boat, including wakeboards, water skis, and tubes;
- Surf boards, boogie boards, and related water recreation gear;
- Bicycles and scooters; and
- Children’s swimsuits, swimwear, and summer clothing.
What to Do if You Were Injured by a Defective Product
Your health is your first priority, so get proper medical treatment right away. Depending on the nature of your injuries, you might head to the emergency room, an urgent care center, or your primary care physician. Keep in mind that prompt medical attention also impacts your rights. When seeking compensation, delays in getting medical care send the message that you were not hurt badly.
Other To-Do’s include:
- Take pictures of the defective product and the physical damage it caused upon failing.
- Document all identifying information about the item, including serial numbers, bar code, model number, and other details.
- Make sure to follow all doctor’s orders and attend all appointments for treatment.
- Start a journal of your experiences after being injured, including your pain level and physical limitations.
- Contact a product liability attorney who will assist with filing a claim with the manufacturer and pursuing litigation in court.
A Miami Defective Products Lawyer Will Explain Your Rights
Our team at Gerson & Schwartz, PA will fight to ensure you receive fair compensation for your medical costs, pain and suffering, and other losses. Please contact our offices in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or West Palm Beach, FL today. You can set up a complimentary case evaluation by calling (305) 371-6000 or visiting our website.