Brickell Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Walking on heavily-occupied sidewalks in Brickell and other parts of Miami can lead to deadly pedestrian accidents. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles reports that 1,569 vehicle accidents involving pedestrians occurred in Miami in 2018. Florida pedestrian laws are designed to keep people safe, but pedestrian accidents still occur all over Florida. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, a Brickell pedestrian accident lawyer can help you hold the vehicle owner and negligent driver legally responsible.
After being injured in a pedestrian accident, you likely feel overwhelmed and unsure of how best to proceed. In the days and weeks after the accident, injured pedestrians often encounter lost wages, large medical bills, and other substantial physical, emotional, and financial struggles.
For the last 50 years, Gerson & Schwartz, PA, personal injury lawyers have been dedicated to helping injured pedestrians pursue the financial compensation needed to get their lives back on their feet from those who have caused their injuries.
During your free personal injury case evaluation, our legal team will help review the facts of your case and explain your legal options. So don’t wait and contact us today. Call us at 305-371-6000 or toll-free today at (877) 475-2905.Understanding Florida Pedestrian Laws
Florida has a substantial body of law designed to protect pedestrians. Whether your injuries were incurred during the night or day, it is important to understand that as an injured pedestrian you have the right to pursue compensation. Some important issues to understand about the law and pedestrians in Florida include the following:
- Pedestrian laws. According to the law, pedestrians in Florida are responsible for obeying pedestrian traffic control devices, using the sidewalk whenever possible, walking on the shoulder of the left side of the road when sidewalks are not available, passing through crosswalks whenever possible, and yielding the right of way to oncoming traffic if crossing the road at a location where a crosswalk is not available.
- Driver laws. Florida laws also require motor vehicle drivers to operate vehicles in a certain way to avoid striking pedestrians. Drivers by law must allow pedestrians in crosswalks to cross the road before continuing through the intersection, not attempt to pass or overtake any other vehicle stopped at a crosswalk while a pedestrian is nearby, and utilize due care to avoid collision with pedestrians who are traversing Florida’s roads. If a driver caused your accident, one of our pedestrian injury lawyer on Brickell will review your case and determine what rules the a negligent driver may have violated.
Pedestrian accidents can involve pedestrians or bicyclists and any type of vehicle like a truck, motorcycle, or passenger vehicle. While there are several dangerous locations in Brickell, one of the most dangerous is the Brickell Avenue Bridge. The southbound entrance to the Brickell Bridge features an on-ramp that reroutes Biscayne Boulevard, an intersection that stops for boats needing to traverse the Miami River to Biscayne Bay, and an Interstate 95 on-ramp.
There are countless other dangerous locations in Brickell where pedestrians are at an increased risk of ending up in an accident:
- On the side of the street. Walking along the side of the street is dangerous for pedestrians. Drivers sometimes lose control of their vehicles. Other factors that our Brickell pedestrian accident lawyers have seen lead to pedestrian accidents that can harm pedestrians walking on the side of the street include distracted drivers, drivers who are driving under the influence, and drivers who strike road debris.
- Crosswalks. If a vehicle operator fails to yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian, there is a likelihood that the pedestrian could be struck. When passing through crosswalks, pedestrians should look both ways and keep an eye on traffic signals even if they have the right-of-way.
- Key Biscayne, Florida – The Rickenbacker bridge though is located right at the end of the southernmost part of Brickell. Over the years bike riders and pedestrians who lived and reside on Brickell have been unfortunate victims of countless crashes and fatal car accidents.
- Parking lot accidents. It is easy for pedestrians to get struck while crossing parking lots. Our Brickell pedestrian accident lawyers have seen many cases in which vehicles backing out of spots might fail to see pedestrians. It is also common for pedestrians to be struck by vehicles while entering or exiting parking lots.
Pedestrian accidents in Florida occur all too often. Some of the most common factors that can cause pedestrian accidents include the following:
- Many pedestrian accidents occur due to the negligence of motor vehicle drivers.
- Road conditions cause various pedestrian accidents. Unfortunately, many roads in Brickell and other parts of Miami are not adequately maintained. Some road conditions that can quickly cause accidents include potholes and uneven payment. In these situations, a municipal, commercial, or private property owner might be responsible for the resulting injuries.
- Obstacles in the road can reduce or block the vision of both drivers and pedestrians. Some of these factors include foliage, parked vehicles, and objects placed on the curb. In these cases, a lawyer might be able to help a victim pursue a lawsuit against a local municipality.
With years of experience helping injured pedestrians, the lawyers at Gerson & Schwartz, PA, will fight to make sure that your rights as an injured pedestrian are protected. To schedule a free case evaluation, do not hesitate to contact our law office today.