Lane Change and Sideswipe Car Accidents
Some of the most common and preventable collisions on the road occur during improperly executed lane changes. Blind spots, inattention, or short merging distances are common culprits in causing sideswipe collisions.
If you or a loved one has been injured by a sideswiping driver, you have legal rights which must be protected. The Miami car accident attorneys at Gerson & Schwartz have over forty-six years of experience in defending the rights of injury victims across the greater Miami area. They ensure that their clients are fully compensated for property damage, medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and all other losses sustained in a car accident.Preventing Sideswipe Accidents
While not all sideswipe accidents can be prevented, the use of defensive driving techniques can reduce the chances of being involved in a collision. Follow our sideswipe prevention tips to stay safe on the road:
- Sideswipe accidents occur more frequently in outer lanes. Be on the alert for other drivers while in these lanes.
- Many truck accidents occur as a result of sideswipe collisions. Due to the large blind spots of a larger vehicle, truck drivers have a more difficult time seeing other vehicles in the road. Use particular caution when driving near a large truck. Make sure you can see the truck’s mirrors, and use your horn as necessarily to alert the driver to your presence.
- Be alert when driving alongside another vehicle for an extended period of time. Staying in another driver’s blind spot for a long period can cause them to forget that another vehicle is next to them. Pull ahead slightly to remind the other driver that you are still there.
- Check traffic in all directions when approaching an intersection. Just because you have the right of way doesn’t mean that other drivers will yield it. By identifying risks early, you can react in time to avoid a collision.
- Allow plenty of distance between your vehicle and an approaching emergency vehicle. Emergency vehicle drivers can make unpredictable movements, such as crossing into oncoming traffic or quickly maneuvering between lanes. With enough distance, drivers can also identify and react to these movements in time to avoid collision.
- Make sure that your own movements are clearly communicated to other drivers. Always signal turns or lane changes, and allow plenty of time and space to execute such maneuvers. The clearer your movements are to other drivers, the better able they will be to avoid a collision.
Unfortunately, even the best drivers cannot account for the carelessness and recklessness of others. In the event that you are involved in a sideswipe accident, here are some of the things you should do to make sure that you can recover compensation for your injuries:
- Record Information about the Accident – Write down as many facts as you can about the accident. Things of which to make note include names of the other drivers involved in the wreck, their insurance information, whether any of the vehicles had damage prior to the accident, and whether anyone else saw the accident occur.
- See Your Doctor – After an accident, it is important to see a physician so that your injuries are diagnosed and documented. Failure to do so can give the insurance company an opportunity to argue that you are not as seriously injured as you claim to be or that some intervening event was the actual cause of your injuries.
- Call a Miami Car Crash Lawyer – Calling a lawyer as soon as you can after an accident will maximize your chances of recovering compensation for your injuries.
The Miami personal injury attorneys at Gerson & Schwartz have over forty-six years of experience in protecting the rights of car accident victims. Miami area car injury victims trust Gerson & Schwartz to handle their cases after truck accidents, pedestrian accidents, motorcycle accidents, and many other types of auto accidents. Contact our office today to schedule your free consultation. You can also call 305-371-6000 with any questions about your case, or email our office at email@example.com. Our professional staff, personalized service, and extensive legal expertise ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. Se Habla Espanol.