Plantation Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers
If you slipped, stumbled, tripped and fell on someone else’s property and were hurt, we recommend you contact a Plantation slip and fall accident lawyer at Gerson & Schwartz P.A. Our firm has been open for more than 48 years, and during this time, we have gained significant experience and insight into Florida slip and fall claims. This knowledge, coupled with our team’s skills and resources, enables us to win significant settlements and court awards for our clients. In turn, we have fostered an excellent reputation among our clients, colleagues, and insurance companies. We are recognized by Best Lawyers, U.S. News, Super Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, and Legalelite, and have excellent reviews on Avvo and Justia. To talk with one of our veteran slip and fall accident lawyers in Plantation, Florida, contact Gerson & Schwartz P.A. by calling (877) 475-2905 or submit your information through our online contact form.Plantation, Florida
Plantation is located in Broward County, Florida. The name for the small city, which is about 22 square miles, comes from a prior landowner, the Everglades Plantation Company. Decades ago, the business attempted to establish rice plantations in the area. However, by the mid-1940s, there was a plan in place to develop a town.
The city was eventually incorporated in April 1953, and at the time, had fewer than 500 people and a budget of $1,288. Currently, Plantation has an estimated population of approximately 93,9000. It is known as a family-friendly area, and in 2008, was named one of the “100 Best Communities for Young People” by America’s Promise Alliance. The city made the list in 2010 and 2011.
There is an 18-hole championship golf course, Plantation Preserve Gold Course and Club, and an extensive park system with two signature parks, Plantation Woods and Camp Everglades. Major employers in Plantation include American Express (AMEX), Motorola, Florida Power and Light, DHL, National Beverage, University of Miami Sylvester Cancer Center, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Plantation General Hospital, and Westside Regional Medical Center.
While the city is considered a safe place to live and raise a family, accidents happen here like anywhere else. Our Plantation slip and fall accident attorneys have represented many individuals after serious falls at Plantation businesses or homes cause them harm.
Some of the most common locations of slip and fall accidents include:
- Grocery stores, supermarkets, and convenience stores
- Restaurants, bars, clubs, and coffee shops
- Mega retail stores like Walmart
- Small stores and boutiques
- Sports facilities
- Entertainment and concert venues
- Movie theaters
- Public parks
- Public and private pools
- Medical facilities
- Hotels and motels
If you or a companion were injured after slipping, tripping, or stumbling and falling on someone else’s property, there are a few steps you should take. These steps will help you protect your rights and preserve your claim for slip and fall compensation.
Our Plantation slip and fall accident lawyers recommend you:
- Inform the property owner or manager on duty of the fall.
- Call the police to report the accident.
- Take photos and video of the location where the fall took place.
- Document the property conditions that led to the fall.
- Write down the events leading up to the fall.
- Ask for the property owner, tenant, or on-duty manager’s name and contact information.
- Ask for the names of on-duty employees.
- Ask witnesses for their names and contact information.
- Get medical help as soon as possible and follow the doctor’s recommended treatment plan.
- Set aside the shoes or sandals and any relevant you were wearing at the time of the accident.
- Call a slip and fall attorney in Plantation to talk about your legal options.
When you fall on someone else’s property, it may be because there was a hazard the property owner should have fixed or warned you about. For example, there may be loose stairs that could cause someone to lose their balance. Or, there may be a spill in an aisle that should have been mopped up right away. By calling Gerson & Schwartz P.A. right away, one of our personal injury lawyers will thoroughly investigate the incident and identify the underlying property defect.
Over the years, we have found that some of the most common reasons slip and fall accidents happen is because of:
- Spilled food and beverages
- Other foreign substances on the ground
- Standing water
- Recently mopped or waxed floors
- Lack of non-skid strips
- Mats and rugs without non-slip backing
- Poor lighting and visibility
- Negligent maintenance of the area
- Loose or defective handrails
- Loose or uneven stairs
- Broken, uneven, and loose tiles
One of the most important reasons to call a Plantation slip and fall accident attorney from Gerson & Schwartz P.A. is to learn about Florida’s premises liability and slip and fall law. Just because you fell and were hurt on another party’s property, does not mean you can obtain compensation for your injuries.
To begin with, you must determine if the property owner owed you a duty of care. If you were a business customer or a social guest, then yes, the landowner owed you a duty of care. Public and business invitees are given the greatest protections, while licensees are owed a slightly lessor duty. One of our attorneys will advise you of the duty owed you and whether they violated that standard of care.
However, Florida also has a specific slip and fall law that makes it more difficult to hold businesses responsible for certain slip and falls. Florida Statute Section 768.0755 states that if you slipped and fell on a transitory foreign substance on the ground at a business, you must prove the business:
- Had actual or constructive knowledge of the dangerous condition; and
- Should have acted to fix the dangerous condition.
If you or a loved one were the victim of a serious fall, you should call Gerson & Schwartz P.A. at (305) 371-6000 to speak with a Plantation slip and fall accident lawyer. Se habla Español.