The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that in 2009, 18,068 people in the United States died of mesothelioma. Unfortunately, the number of people who die from this illness is only expected to increase over the next few years. People diagnosed with mesothelioma often struggle to pay for the costly treatment associated with the devastating disease. The illness disproportionately affects those who have been involved in Florida's construction and maintenance industries. Victims harmed by asbestos are able to pursue compensation for their losses with the help of a mesothelioma practice lawyer in Florida.
A knowledgeable attorney with years of mesothelioma practice can help to hold the accountable parties responsible. At Gerson & Schwartz, we are prepared to do what is necessary to hold the parties who distributed, manufactured, and otherwise profited from the use of asbestos accountable for the damage they have caused to innocent victims. Contact our mesothelioma practice at our toll-free number today by calling 877 745 2905 to schedule a free case evaluation.The Role of Asbestos in Miami's Industries
Consisting of six minerals that naturally occur in the environment, asbestos is classified as a human carcinogen, or substance that causes cancer. These minerals have been used for decades in commercial manufacturing and construction throughout the country.
Due to how resistant asbestos fibers are to heat, for several decades, the material was incredibly useful, though deadly. Some of the companies in the Miami area that used asbestos include:
- American Boatbuilding
- Banana Supply Company
- Binker Portland Cement Company
- Coconut Grove Incinerator
- Cutler Ridge Power Plant
- Dadeland Shopping Center
- Diplomat Hotel
- Doral Country Club
- Dupont Plaza
- Eastern Airlines
- Fitzgerald Energy of Florida
- Fountainbleau Hotel
- Gulfstream Racetrack
- Hollywood Beach Hotel
- Jackson Memorial Hospital
Our Mesothelioma practice lawyers have experience handling mesothelioma cases throughout the state of Florida, and we are prepared to fight for the results you deserve.Dangers Associated With Asbestos Exposure
If any product containing asbestos is moved, small fibers of the material are released into the air, which are then breathed in by people nearby. After a person breathes in asbestos fibers, the material remains in that person's lungs for an extended period of time. Besides mesothelioma, the accumulation of asbestos fibers can result in:
- Difficulty breathing
- Larynx cancer
- Lung cancer
- Ovary cancer
Regardless of the injuries caused by your asbestos exposure, a mesothelioma practice lawyer will help you hold parties responsible accountable for your losses.The Four Types of Mesothelioma
Our mesothelioma practice attorneys have a complex understanding of many ways in which the disease impacts victims. For example, many people are surprised to learn that there are four different types of mesothelioma, which include:
- Pericardial mesothelioma. This condition covers both the heart and chest space that surrounds the heart. Some symptoms of this condition include chest pain and difficulty breathing. Many times, symptoms from this type of mesothelioma can mimic other heart conditions.
- Peritoneal mesothelioma. This condition covers the abdomen and many organ linings. Some symptoms associated with this condition include abdominal pain, nausea, swelling, and weight loss. While these symptoms can be the result of benign causes, people who notice these symptoms should promptly speak with a medical professional.
- Pleural mesothelioma. This illness impacts the upper respiratory system including the lungs and chest space that contains the lungs. The most common type of mesothelioma, this condition is associated with symptoms like chest pain, coughing, lumps, shortness of breath, and weight loss.
- Testicular mesothelioma. This type of condition impacts the lining around the testes. Some symptoms of this condition include swelling or masses on the testicles.
Regardless of the type of mesothelioma with which a person is diagnosed, it is critical to understand that the condition results in pain and suffering. Mesothelioma is almost always a fatal condition. If you have lost a loved one to mesothelioma as a result of his or her exposure to asbestos, a mesothelioma practice attorney can help you pursue compensation.Types of Mesothelioma Claims Our Law Firm Handles
Our experienced mesothelioma practice attorneys can help victims pursue various types of mesothelioma claims, which include:
- Asbestos trust fund claims. Unfortunately, some asbestos-containing product manufacturers can no longer be sued if they have filed for bankruptcy. So victims who were harmed by these companies can still pursue compensation, bankruptcy manufacturers who wanted to remain in business have been court-ordered to create asbestos trust funds. Mesothelioma lawyers can help victims file claims with these trust funds to obtain the compensation they need.
- Personal injury lawsuits. In these lawsuits, people diagnosed with mesothelioma pursue compensation from the parties that produced the products containing asbestos.
- Wrongful death lawsuits. These lawsuits are filed by people seeking to obtain compensation for someone who died as a result of asbestos exposure.
With the help of an experienced mesothelioma practice lawyer, many mesothelioma lawsuits are resolved before they reach a jury. Provided that a person has collected the necessary details about their condition and an easily identifiable company is liable for paying compensation, mesothelioma lawsuits often take less than a year from when they are filed. If a mesothelioma case needs to proceed to trial, it may take two or more years.Amount of Damages Collected in a Mesothelioma Lawsuit
The amount a person can expect to receive from a legal action involving a mesothelioma diagnosis is difficult to estimate. Some cases result in million-dollar settlements, while other cases resolve for much less. This is because some companies have funds to pay out large claims, while others have much less money to compensate mesothelioma victims. Aside from the size of compensation funds available for payments, the extent of a person's mesothelioma treatment, and how long a victim has battled the disease can impact the amount of compensation received in a lawsuit.
Other factors that can influence the mesothelioma damages awarded include the amount of wages lost to the illness, the extent of the medical bills, and the amount of pain and suffering a person has faced. Time can also influence the amount of compensation that a person receives. Cases that resolve quickly often result in less compensation. Despite these factors, many mesothelioma practice cases result in victims receiving significant awards or settlementsSpeak with a Knowledgeable Mesothelioma Lawyer
At Gerson & Schwartz, PA, our lawyers have experience providing strong legal representation to people who are diagnosed with mesothelioma. Our lawyers understand the challenges often faced by mesothelioma patients, and we will remain committed to fighting for the compensation you deserve for your losses. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, we invite you to contact our law office today to schedule a free case evaluation. Call us at 305-371-600 or toll free at 877-475-2905. Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.